Morris

Our friend the Morris Award, flanked by Apollo, Athena, the frog, and the 'mander.

Our friend the Morris Award, flanked by Apollo, Athena, the frog, and the ‘mander.

So as most of you have probably already heard, Seraphina received the Morris Award for best YA debut novel yesterday. I feel so fortunate that I got to be there in person and hear it announced. I got to meet this year’s Morris committee, shake hands, have pictures taken (including one where we all wore fake moustaches! Librarians are sillier than is commonly supposed), and just feel so very loved and encouraged all around. I managed to give my speech without falling off the stage, and they gave me a standing ovation.

I have never had a standing ovation before in my life, and I was a pretty good belly-dancer back in the day.

Anyway, it was wonderful. I got to see a whole bunch of Random House people I met last spring, meet a few I missed when I was there, and meet the new publisher, Barbara Marcus, who’s been the energy and impetus behind the new edition of Seraphina that’s coming out (maybe sooner than expected! I’ll get a date for you). She was so kind and encouraging, and she reminded me of Hannah, my boss at Children’s Book World, which was great. I’m feeling all excited to get back to work now!

15 Comments on “Morris”

1. Chelsea says:

If I could leave a shimming victory dance instead of a text comment, I would. So very happy for you, Rachel!

2. Anne in Illinois says:

That is so great! Soooo glad you were there to soak up the “love bombs”!

3. Joshua Macy says:

Awesome! Congratulations!

4. susan says:

Well how much does that rock????

5. Eleanor G says:

Congratulations! I was watching the livecast at the office, and I was SO excited and happy for you!

6. Jarryd Ladhams. says:

Congratulations. You certainly earned it and more. I believe I’ve already said this, but its been a while since I’ve read something as fresh as Seraphina.

7. Susan says:

Just leaving a comment so that you’ll know I’m sitting here reading about your award and beaming.

8. Rebecca says:

So proud to be related to a Morris Award Winner! Now get back to work so my friends will stop pressuring me to pressure you to finish the sequel! ;)

9. Rob says:

Wow, somehow I missed this when the news hit. Congrats!

And to think, I knew her when she was “just” making minicomics….

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 455 other followers