The SEQUEL

It occurs to me that you probably want some information about this mysterious sequel I’ve been working on for the last geologic age. A few things may now be told without being spoilery.

The title will be Shadow Scale

Two words. It was originally one, and I still like it better as one, but there were other, logistical reasons to make it two. I’m not sure I’m at liberty to say what those reasons are just yet, so you must use your imagination. If your imagination is on vacation (it IS November, after all) I will give you some alternatives:

a) Because I get paid by the word

b) Because somebody hacked it in two with a sword

c) Because when it was one word, people kept misreading it as “Shadows Cale” and then getting hungry for mysterious cruciferous vegetables

The correct answer is, of course, all three.

Second item of business: when does the accursed thing come out? We have a date, darlings, but it may be subject to change, so pencil it in. As of right now, if revisions go the way they should and my editor isn’t eaten by Godzilla and an asteroid doesn’t hit Manhattan and I don’t fall down a hole, the book should be out by:

March, 2015.

I will give you a moment to weep. That’s fair. It is November, after all, and nobody should be expected to hold it in when the rain clouds can’t be bothered to show the same consideration.

Done? Good. Now let’s get a YAAAAY! Because this thing is real. It is happening. There were days I thought it never would be, when my mind felt like a glacier, cold and barren and immovable.

But glaciers do move. They move mountains and etch valleys and bulldoze entire landscapes. I have applied irresistible forces to immovable objects. I have eroded whole canyons, sometimes with nothing but a persistent drip.

Heh. Persistent drip. That pretty much sums me up.

About these ads

15 Comments on “The SEQUEL”

1. Terry Dawson says:

Yay, it’s real! Aww, that’s a long time to wait :-(. Yay, it will be worth the wait! Thank you!!

2. Addie says:

How could you do this to us Rachel Hartman?!! Prince Kiggs belongs to us, the loyal fangirls and we demand to be reunited soon!!!! Thank you.

3. 2015. *dies*

On the other hand, HOORAY! YOU DID IT! And my goodness, if Megan Whalen Turner makes us wait sometimes nearly a DECADE between books, you’re allowed a handful of years.

4. Am considering being placed in cryogenic stasis until the book is available.

5. Rick Santman says:

“persistent drip”

Haw haw! I’m gonna steal that and use it some day…

6. Brigid Keely says:

I waited 5 years for the most recent Locke Lamora book, and I don’t remember how many for GRRM’s most recent Westeros novel. I can wait until 2015 for yours. Current authors are apparently conspiring to teach me lessons about patience. I probably need those lessons. sigh. SIGH. Looking forward to your book. :) Please keep us updated as to when we can place preorders.

7. Layla Lawlor says:

I’m so thrilled! 2015 is a long way off, but the idea of visiting these characters again fills me with joy. I know it’ll be worth the wait.

8. Marian says:

I’m rereading Seraphina now and was hoping there would be a date for the sequel, I’m happy there is but do have to admit I’m petty enough to wish it was coming out in 2014. I’m eager to see what happens next with everyone. It’s such a great book.

9. Cory Caitlin Dixon says:

Well, dang. That’s too long! …And yet, by the time it comes out, I’ll be ready re-read Seraphina for the 4th or 5th time, followed by the lavishly written sequel. I can get with that.

10. […] Brennan’s Lynburn books is going to be titled Unmade. In other title news, Rachel Hartman has blogged about the sequel to Seraphina. It will be called Shadow Scale (two words, where previously it was […]

11. Acoustic Rob says:

Yay! Title! Sequel! It’s really happening.

…March 2015? Dang, Rachel, that’s a long time. I don’t mind, though–I have faith that it’ll be worth the wait.

12. […] be multiple books – and I would gladly them all! And there is a sequel, Shadow Scale, but the release date is set for MARCH 2015 (insert sobbing […]

13. Sigrid Rowe says:

Wait, so 2015 isn’t a typo? Yikes.

14. Clara Morse says:

I admit, I have nothing new to say. Shadow Scale is an amazing title, and I cannot wait for it to come out. *checks date* Or, maybe I can. Ugh, 2015 is a long time! But I get that you have to do your editing and things, and I am willing to wait an extra year for an extra-good book. I am super excited for Shadows Cale!! heheheh

15. Dear Rachel,
    so sad to hear that we will have to wait until 2015 for the sequel.
    I have a question though. I’m from Germany and just found out that the translation of Shadow Scale will already be published next year. Can you tell us why that is? Is the book finished and your publisher wants to wait until 2015 to publish it or will the German translation be of a rough draft? I’m so confused!
    I’d be very grateful for an explanation.
    Thankyou and take care.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 390 other followers