Every time I start a new project, I suddenly have a laundry list of things I need to “research”. I put that in scare quotes because I suspect that it’s actually a subconscious strategy to derail myself. I can’t possibly write! I don’t know enough yet!
Here’s the current list of suspect preoccupations:
- Bantu knots/cornrows (thanks to everyone who answered my burning questions!)
- building styles and materials of Savoy/Hautes-Alpes (fortunately, I have a book with good pictures!)
- lichens (yes, you read that right)
- types of stone that might typically be found near layers of shale
- time of year gorse would be in bloom
- 15th century riding boots (ok, those last two I tend to look up all the time anyway)
I mean, they’re all useful things to know, right? I’m not just goofing off, here, am I?
Yeah, I kind of am. I hereby issue myself an official reminder: write first. Look up the precise species of marmot later.