Buy

Shadow Scale is already available for pre-order:

Indigo.ca

Amazon.com

Powell’s

Barnes & Noble

Seraphina is available now, at the following fine emporiums:

Indigo.ca

Amazon.com

Powell’s Portland (You’re asking, “Is there any other?” Indeed, there is! Powell’s Chicago, where I used to work ages ago, and which carries used books, remainders, and overstock exclusively).

Barnes & Noble

Find an independent store near you at Indie Bound (I found their link to the audio book, but not the hardcover yet.)

And of course, if you’re local here in Vancouver, KidsBooks is always the place to be!

UPDATE: I’ve had lots of inquiries about signed books. KidsBooks has them (and if they don’t, they can arrange to have them quickly because I’m not far away).

I signed a lot of books at Mabel’s Fables in Toronto, as well as a number of Indigo and Chapters stores in Toronto and Vancouver. I signed a few copies at Pudd’nhead Books in St. Louis, too.

Most recently, I signed stock at University Book Store in Seattle, and at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park, WA.

I will be touring to Philadelphia, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles in September, and I will be in Calgary and possibly New York City in October. We’re looking for a way to get me to Portland, OR, and I will definitely get back to the town where I grew up, Lexington, KY, but I do not yet know when. More specifics and dates as I know them!

99 Comments on “Buy”

1. Barb says:

As someone who began reading Tolkein, LeEngele and every other fantasy/fairy tale I could find at an early age, I must say I really enjoyed Seraphina. Like everyone else, I’m waiting for the sequel! You have reached a mainstream audience since I’m 57, lol! Keep up the good work!

2. Donald Sosin says:

Dear Ms. Hartman,

I’m a composer and pianist, will be 62 next month, father of two, and a longtime reader of young adult fiction. I found Seraphina prominently displayed in the library of the independent middle school in Connecticut where I teach piano and conduct musicals. Couldn’t put it down. Seraphina breaks the boundaries of this genre with its fine writing, intricate plot and, for me, the detailed passages concerning music. I would certainly love to set the poems to music and create tunes for the dances! I know that Wanda Landowska, the great harpsichordist who lived here in our town in northwest CT, would be thrilled at the idea that young people are learning about the instrument through your book. Congratulations on your terrific work, and if you come to New York I will try to be there to say hello. I’m accompanying silent films at MoMA Oct. 19/20 if you are around! Please be my guest!

3. Catryne says:

I saw this book and the title interested me and once I started reading it I was intrigued from the first chapter. The plot and intricately detailed world you created were amazing. I am actually writing an essay on writers style about your book. I loved this book and simply cannot wait for the sequel:)

4. CCD says:

So just a simple question, but could you please write a sequel? I just read Seraphina for the fifth time, and I still LOVE it!

5. I just finished reading Seraphina. Like, three minutes ago. It was wonderfully layered and complex, and extremely well-written. I absolutely loved it! I will be waiting with baited breath for the sequel that comes out in–gasp–a year and a half. Good books take time, that’s for sure.

6. […] Seraphina was an immensely satisfying experience.  I think this was partly because the few books I read […]

• As a high-school student who loves fantasy books this book is now one of my favorites, after reading it in about 3 days i am sad to see it end. this book has taught me lessons about being my self and to not be ashamed of who you are. Thank you for the story

7. Julia says:

Hello! I have a quick question will Shadow Scale be available in Indigo in Edmonton, Canada, or will I have to order it? If I do have to order it where can I order it from? By the way, Seraphina has been the best fiction/fantasy book I have read in a while…LOVE IT! Cant wait till 2015 when Shadow Scale comes out! Once I finished the book I immediately told my friends about it, and they absolutely loved it! I don’t think anyone would dislike that book!

From a fan of Seraphina…

8. Einat says:

Hi,

I read the book together with my 9 year old, it was a little too complicated for her (both the language and some of the plot), so we read it together. That was great fun, for both of us. Actually it gave her a push to read other books on her own afterward. We read it in Hebrew, and I hope the sequel will be translated as well.
    Thanks for a wonderful book, with a great heroin. Hope to read lots of yours in the future.

Einat

9. Logan says:

Hello!
    I must say i read this book a bit back, but i have recently reread it. I am ecstatic about the second one coming out in March, but I was looking in the nook store and saw a PREQUEL to Seraphina. I LOVE little stories that kind of give more background but the only ones in the nook store are SPANISH and GERMAN. So, needless to say I was a little heart broken. Is there an English version anywhere?

10. Is it possible to buy Amy Unbounded anywhere anymore?

11. Tessa says:

Hi! I absolutely loved your book!!!! It was amazing. So detailed and wonderful! I’m writing a book called Arwen and I’m almost done! I’ve been writing it for four years😃I hope that it will one day be published. But even though I loved your book I had a question it’s about Jannoula, what did you mean by she could see into her brain? What happens to her in the house? Does she get hungry? Is her real life character have that power too!! And does Orma ever see Seraphina again!!!

Thanks so much for writing such a great book
    Cheers!Tessa

P.S please come sign books in Lethbridge Alberta I’m dying to meet you!

12. Brittania says:

Hi Rachel!
    I read your AMAZING story Seraphina for my school’s white pine club. The story was so beautiful and took me on an adventure that I don’t think real life could ever.

I had a more personal question for you. It would mean more than the world if you could e-mail me!

PS Can’t wait for Shadow Scale and the rest of breath taking stories you’ll write!!!!:)

13. AryaJane says:

Hi!
    Everywhere on your website it says that Shadow Scale will be released on March 10, 2015…I was surprised today (February 27, 2015) to see it at Indigo store(in Scarborough Town Centre) in Toronto! I, of course, bought it immediately! First, I will re-read Seraphina and then start on the second book, which I am so excited about!
    Also, can’t wait until you come to Toronto! (it says so in the Appearances section :)!!!

14. jparsons152 says:

Hi Rachel! I have been reading Shadow Scale. I don’t know if you are aware of this, but after page 340, the text is numbered as 213-244, then the next page is 373. This is confusing to try to explain, but basically there are 32 pages of text (what should be pages 341-372) that have been replaced with text I read already(pages 213-244). They are even numbered as 213-244. I checked those pages with the pages earlier in the book, and they are the same. So a large section of text, 32 pages, is missing, and in its place is a section of text from earlier in the book(213-244).

• That is a production error! Hardcover books are bound in “signatures” – clusters of 32 pages – and it sounds like a whole signature is missing and the wrong one put in its place. Take the book back to where you got it and show them. They should be willing to exchange it for a proper copy. They didn’t all come out that way, I promise. If it’s the library’s copy, they need to know, too.

15. jparsons152 says:

Thank you, Ms. Hartman. I’ll take care of it.

I absolutely loved Seraphina and what I have read of Shadow Scale. I appreciate good writing. I haven’t read it in a while, but from what I remember, Seraphina had almost a musical quality to it. Christopher Paolini was right to say it was beautifully written. The text flowed and was easy to read. I remember reading passages over several times because I loved them so much. Thank you.

16. Aditi says:

Hi,

I just finished reading Shadow Scale and I have to tell you that I am so glad I discovered these two books. I have been on a quest to find as many female – centred , fantasy books as I could and these were perfect. The characters were complex and the story line gripping. I loved every minute of being in this world and how you revealed the prejudices and biases of different kinds of beliefs.

So glad to have been a part of Seraphina’s journey. Thank you for this. I will be recommending it to several people.

Aditi (Fan from India)

17. Tori says:

Hello!
    My name is Tori! I bought Seraphina recently because I found it in my local bookstore and it seemed interesting. I quickly ordered Shadow Scale and just finished it. I just wanted to say I loved them both! I have been feeling disheartened by the lack of fantasy books with strong female characters and these books fit that perfectly! I am so happy I found these books and I hope you will be writing more books soon! You are a fantastic author and I really love that you included LGBTQ+ characters in your books! I will be keeping an eye out for more works!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )